IKEA recalls lamp following death of child

WASHINGTON - IKEA is recalling millions of children's lamps following the death of a child who choked on the lamp's cord and another was injured.

The "SMILA" series wall-mounted children's lamps were sold at IKEA from 1999 through 2013 for $10 to $13. There were 2.9 million of the recalled lamps sold in the U.S. and 1.1 million sold in Canada. A total of 23 million were sold worldwide.

Consumers should stop using the lamp and contact IKEA for a free repair kit to attach the cord to the wall.

In the fatal case, a 16-month-old child died after getting entangled in the lamp's cord. Additionally, a 15-month-old child became entangled in the lamp's cord and nearly strangled. In both cases, the lamp cord was pulled into the crib by the infants.

Print this article Back to Top